Monday, June 13, 2011

65th Annual Tony Awards: Red Carpet Gets the "Nick Two Cents" Treatment


Theater Red Carpet Queens...


Last night was the 65th Annual Tony Awards (yes, there was something going on BESIDES the NBA Finals kids!! Well, at least for me!). I had the privilege of being invited to the West Coast Tony Award Viewing Party Fundraiser given by The Actors Fund (more on that in a later post). But for now, I must give my "Nick V. Two Cents" on the Tony Awards Red Carpet Fashion--some good, some not-so-much and see who wins my "Oh Whoopi Award" as well as "Why Even Show Up Award" and of course, who were the CUTEST COUPLE...

Let's begin with Miss Brooke:


Brooke Shields in J. Mendel by Gilles Mendel. Forget the fact that she couldn't read the teleprompter last night, for a three line mini-song. Please, let's try and forget. Let's discuss her strapless gown. This is a beautiful Grecian-inspired chiffon gown and I applaud Brooke (who isn't your size 4 sample size) for wearing something that has wonderful drape and movement. My one problem is the color. PUTTY is not a tone that looks particularly good on anyone. Miss Brooke loves her light colored dresses, but this greenish-gray, well, is not the best.

Ellen Barkin in L'Wren Scott: Tony Award Winner for Best Actress in a Play Ellen Barkin, wore a black column of a gown by Mick Jagger's gorgeous "lady-friend"--and talented designer--L'Wren Scott. Onstage, she looked flawless. Opening up the neck with that deep-V neckline: Ten Points! Covering the arms with sheer delicate lace: Ten Points. Perfect Fit: Another Ten Points! Well, Miss Barkin, you win my award for one of the Best Dressed at the Tonys!!

Christie Brinkley in Zuhair Murad: Oh Miss Chrstie. If anyone watched last night and saw her presentation...why did she look all "KRAZEE Eyed"??? Well, that's neither here nor there--what's important is what she wore. This baby blue silk satin strapless "Mermaid"-silhouette gown with back bow detail was A LOT of Gown--for even the Tonys. It was very "Miss Universe Pageant" I must say (and I do like that as y'all know!). But somehow, the style, and the hair style--well, it reminded me of a blue version of the gown I designed for Barbie and her 50th Anniversary 2 years ago. It was a bit--dare I say--Barbie...

Judith Light in Alexander McQueen. Judith is a Diva and knows her fashion and there is no denying when this lady walks in the room, people are taking notice. Fa-Fa-FIERCE!!! I even love the Farrah-Fawcett "feathered" hair!!

Sutton Foster in Michael Kors: Gorgeous Sutton Foster won last night for Best Actress in a Musical for the Revival of "Anything Goes". She is a TRIPLE THREAT_--singer, dancer, actress!! Well, I'll add one more: Fashion Gal!! This color is a very difficult color to pull off--think about it: PEA color! If I saw this in a fabric color swatch, even I would pass. But Sutton looked elegant in this multi-tiered strapless dress. This gown could have easily looked like the drapes from Grandma's House, but it didn't.

Tammy Blanchard in Georges Chakra: Tony Award Nominee for Best Featured Actress in a Musical "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying"

Actress Tammy Blanchard (she's most famous playing a teenage Judy Garland in the Made-for-TV Movie) went "Hollywood Glamour" with this electric blue head-to-toe sequined cowl-necked gown from Lebanese Designer Georges Chakra; she's "GIVING it" to you kids in this dress. I especially like that she pulled back her hair in a chignon to finish it all up. Anything else, and she would have looked as if she was doing "Dinner Piano Cabaret" at the Flamingo!

Viola Davis: Last year's Tony Award Winner for Best Performance by a Leading Actress In A Play, presented last night in this beautiful raspberry colored gown. I LOVE this color and dare I say it, it just might be THE COLOR of the season (just take a look at my current Spring 2011 NIKOLAKI Collection for that!). I only wish she would have made a better shoe choice.

Diva Of The Night Awards Goes To:

Catherine Zeta-Jones in Elie Saab: Wow! Yes, that's all I could say when I saw Miss Catherine Zeta-Jones take the stage last night at the 2011 Tony Awards. All-over sequined fire-red backless gown from Lebanese Designer Elie Saab. Simply stunning. Her body: A Second Wow! If I had one little bit of criticism was how high her empire/underbust seam was, but you know what...when the rest of her looks THAT good...Who Cares??? Diva!

The "Oh Miss Whoopi" Awards Goes To:


Whoopi Goldberg: No Comment.

The "Why Even Show Up?" Red Carpet Award Goes To:

Frances McDermond: Well, at least she showed up and won an award last night--for Best Leading Actress in a Play. But this ensemble was anything but "Best": A striped cotton jersey maxi dress and worn denim cropped jacket? Seriously?? Did she KNOW that she was going to the Tonys? She looks as if she's going to a Barbeque in Van Nuys!!! Mess, Mess, and more Mess. I criticize people who pay $200 to go see a Broadway musical/play and don't dress up. Well, This one takes the cake!!!! And I didn't even begin to discuss her hair and lack of make-up. Pretend you care Frances. Pretend.

Cutest Couple:


Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka: Just look at them! Done and Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...