Friday, June 17, 2011

Miss USA 2011: The Preliminary Evening Gown Competition: My Faves...and Most Improved Award Goes To...


Best Gowns...

Miss New York USA: WOOOORK IT Huney! Miss New York USA 2011 Amber Marie Collins is one of my faves,; loved her gown in the official portraits and she (wisely) chose to not change it. It's an ivory crepe gown by Venezuelan Fashion Designer Gionni Straccia, famous for designing the gowns for many a Miss Universe winner from his home country--as well as Univision's "Nuestra Belleza" finalists.


The Miss USA 2011 Preliminary Competition occurred two days ago. The Preliminaries are where the Top Semi-Finalists are chosen by a panel of judges (separate to the Live telecast "celebrity judges") who will then be announced on Sunday night in the Final Miss USA 2011 telecast (on NBC naturally!). The Preliminary Competition involves both Swimsuit and Evening Gown. Well, of course, what I am interested in here is THE Evening Gown Competition! Some contestants kept the same gown they wore for the "Official Miss USA 2011 Website Portraits" and some, changed of course ( I told ya!). After seeing pics of the Miss USA 2011 Preliminary Evening Gown Competition, I decided on which ones were my favorites. I will--of course--discuss my "Ooooh GURL, Really?" pics on a later post--but for now--I'll be "Nicey Nick" :)

Miss New Jersey USA: Julianna White Miss New Jersey USA, also decided not to change from her "Miss USA 2011 Website Official Portrait Gown", and wore the same bubblegum pink strapless gown with a jeweled encrusted waistline, which I loved before. It's also (like Miss New York USA) a gown designed by Venezuelan Designer Gionni Straccia. I'm so glad that these US pageant Directors got some sense in them and knew who to turn to when it came to gowns! Hope Straccia is charging them all the thousands of dollar these gowns are worth!!! Because they are worth it--Simply Gorgeous.

Miss Connecticut USA: Well, since we are on a Gionni Straccia roll, here is another gown by that designer. It was worn by Miss Connecticut USA , Regina Turner. I liked it's "Armani Prive"-esque laminated fabrication back when I reviewed those "Miss USA 2011 Portrait Evening Gown" photos and I still like it now. The earrings might be a bit much, especially with her "free-flowing" hairstyle. Leave that to the "South-of-the-Border" girls huney...

Miss Missouri USA: I kinda liked Miss Missouri USA's Hope Driskall white off the shoulder gown. The top section with its sequins and torso shirring is actually rather elegant and really shows off a FAB--and very important-- "Three Quarter" shot. But , on the other hand I have to admit, that I am not a fan of the rest of the gown. It could have just been a simple and elegant no applique silk crepe. The top section was ENOUGH. Speaking of the top section...

It was SOOOO...Alicia Machado Miss Universe 1996. Just sayin'

Miss Michigan USA: One of my top picks to win it all, Miss Michigan USA Channing Pierce wore an exquisite strapless and Empire-waist black and sequin gown for the Miss USA 2011 Preliminary Evening Gown Competition.

It was a bit better than the animal print-and-black lace "Roberto Cavalli"-esque lingerie thang she wore to the "Official Evening Gown Portrait" (above photo).

Miss Louisiana USA: When I first saw Miss Louisiana USA Page Pennock's gown, I was thrown back a bit. It was COVERED (well at least in the front) and (GASP!) there was NO SLIT (!!). Someone had to pick me up as I almost fell on the floor!!! I think this is a modern directional, and very "Red Carpet" worthy dress. Simple Ivory Jersey. It fits her well and again, I'm loving that she doesn't look like a 45-year-old "Real Housewives of the OC"/Stripper!! Thank you Page!!!

Miss Texas USA: Another Favorite (not sure why almost all my faves are wearing white evening gowns!) was Miss Texas USA Ana Christina Rodriguez. She decided to wear a strapless ivory/white gown, asymmetrically cut to expose a feathered "under" gown. Excuse me for admitting this but: I loved it! I also loved those drop earrings and peep-toe pumps as well. Definitely one of my Top Evening Gowns.

The Higher The Hair/Closer To God Award Goes To...

Miss Alaska USA: While her gold and ivory jacquard one-shoulder gown is just "OK" for me, that big hair BUMP Bouffant on Jessica Chuckran Miss Alaska USA is OUT OF CONTROL!!!! SNOOKI Hair COUTURE on a whole other level! I say "You Go Girl!"

And The Award For Most Improved Goes To...(Drum Roll Please):

Miss Nevada USA: Yes kids, someone done did an Evening Gown Change for the Preliminary Competition and it was WAAAY for the better! Miss Nevada USA 2011 Sarah Chapman wore a "La Cage Aux Folles" Drag Queen/Gay Pride Parade of a Gown for the "Miss USA 2011 Website Evening Gown Official Portrait" but...she was well advised to NOT have worn that to the Preliminaries. She looked AMAZING in a nude/blush-colored sequined gown which, well, made her looked like the Va-Va Boom woman that she is! So, for that, she gets my "Nick Verreos Miss USA 2011 Evening Gown Most Improved" Award. Congratulations Miss Nevada USA 2011--and Good Luck to the rest of the ladies...

Next Up: The Not So Good Evening Gowns form the Miss USA 2011 Preliminary Competition...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...